Alborada Lecturer in Epidemiology
Royal Society University Research Fellow
Fellow of Robinson College
Olivier Restif is interested in taking PhD students.
Cambridge CB3 0ES
I use mathematical models combined with experimental and field-based studies to investigate the dynamics of infectious diseases at all scales, from cells to ecosystems. My research falls into four main subjects:
- Within-host dynamics of bacterial infections.
- Evolutionary ecology of immune defences.
- Microcosm studies of host-pathogen population dynamics.
- Model-Guided Fieldwork for Wildlife Infectious Diseases.
Departments and Institutes
- Veterinary Medicine:
- Research Fellow
See here for more details on my research.
- Coward et al (2014) The Effects of Vaccination and Immunity on Bacterial Infection Dynamics In Vivo. PLoS Pathogens, 10(9): e1004359, Full text
- Peel AJ et al (2014) The effect of seasonal birth pulses on pathogen persistence in wild mammal populations. Proc R Soc B, 281:20132962. Full text
- Restif O (2013) An offer you cannot refuse: down‐regulation of immunity in response to a pathogen's retaliation threat. J Evol Biol 26:2021-2030. Full text
- Restif O et al. (2012) Model‐guided fieldwork: practical guidelines for multidisciplinary research on wildlife ecological and epidemiological dynamics. Ecology Letters 15:1083. Full text
- Restif O & Amos W (2010) The evolution of sex-specific immune defences. Proceedings of the Royal Society B. Full text
- Restif O (2009) Evolutionary epidemiology 20 years on: Challenges and prospects. Infection, Genetics and Evolution 9 (1): 108-23. [PubMed]
- Grant AJ, Restif O, McKinley TJ, Sheppard M, Maskell DJ, Mastroeni P (2008) Modelling within-host spatiotemporal dynamics of invasive bacterial disease. PLoS Biology 6:e74 [PubMed]
- Restif O, Grenfell BT (2007) Vaccination and the dynamics of immune evasion. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 4:143-153 [PubMed]
- Restif O, Grenfell BT (2006) Integrating life history and cross-immunity into the evolutionary dynamics of pathogens. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, series B 273:409-416 [PubMed]
- Restif O, Kaltz O (2006) Condition-dependent virulence in a horizontally and vertically transmitted bacterial parasite. Oikos 114:148-158
- Restif O, Koella JC (2004) Concurrent evolution of resistance and tolerance to pathogens. The American Naturalist 164:E90-E102 [PubMed]
- Restif O, Koella JC (2003) Shared control of epidemiological traits in a coevolutionary model of host-parasite interactions. The American Naturalist 161:827-836 [PubMed]