I am a postdoctoral molecular microbiologist with interests in the interface between bacterial metabolism and virulence, and the interaction of pathogenic bacteria with host cells and tissues. My current work is focused on applying novel physical and imaging techniques combined with molecular genetic approaches to study these processes.
Departments and Institutes
- Veterinary Medicine:
- Research Associate
- S. Achouri*, J.A. Wright*, L. Evans, C. Macleod, G. Fraser, P. Cicuta and C.E. Bryant. (2015). The frequency and duration of Salmonella-macrophage adhesion events determines infection efficiency. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, 370, . *joint first authors.
- J.A. Wright and S.P. Nair. (2012). The lipoprotein components of the Isd and Hts transport systems are dispensable for heme acquisition by Staphylococcus aureus. FEMS Microbiology Letters, 329, 177-185.
- J.A. Wright and S.P. Nair. (2010). Interaction of staphylococci with bone. International Journal of Medical Microbiology, 300, 193-204.
- J.A. Wright*, S.S. Tötemeyer*, I. Hautefort, C. Appia-Ayme M. Alston et al. (2009). Multiple redundant stress resistance mechanisms are induced in Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium in response to modulation of the intracellular environment via TLR4 signalling. Microbiology, 155, 2919-2929. *joint first authors.
- J.A. Wright, A.J. Grant, D. Hurd, M. Harrison, E.J. Guccione, D.J. Kelly and D.J. Maskell. (2009) Metabolite and transcriptome analysis of Campylobacter jejuni in vitro growth reveals a stationary phase physiological switch. Microbiology. 155, 80-94.
- J.A. Wright and C.E. Bryant. (2016). The killer protein Gasdermin D. Cell Death and Differentiation, doi: 10.1038/cdd.2016.100
- M. Pereira, P. Tourlomousis, J. Wright, T.P. Monie and C.E. Bryant. (2016). CARD9 negatively regulates NLRP3-induced IL-1β production on Salmonella infection of macrophages. Nature Communications, 7, 12874.
- S.M. Man, A. Ekpenyong, P. Tourlomousis, S. Achouri, E. Cammarota, K. Hughes, A. Rizzo, G. Ng, J.A. Wright, P. Cicuta, J.R. Guck and C.E. Bryant. (2014). Actin polymerization as a key innate immune effector mechanism to control Salmonella infection. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 111, 17588-17593.
- S.M. Man, L.J. Hopkins, E. Nugent, S. Cox, I.M. Glück, P. Tourlomousis, J.A. Wright, P. Cicuta, T.P. Monie and C.E. Bryant. (2014). Inflammasome activation causes dual recruitment of NLRC4 and NLRP3 to the same macromolecular complex. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 111, 7403-7408.
- S.Tubby, M. Wilson, J.A. Wright, P. Zhang and S.P. Nair. (2013). Staphylococcus aureus small colony variants are susceptible to light activated antimicrobial agents. BMC Microbiology, 13, 201.
- J. Wright and C.E. Bryant (2009). A new view of innate immunity for the 21st century. In: Periodontal Medicine and Systems Biology, Chapter 16, p247-262. B. Henderson, M. Curtis, R. Seymour, N. Donos (eds). Wiley Blackwell.
- B.M. Pearson, C. Pin, J. Wright, K. I’Anson, T. Humphrey and J.M. Wells. (2003). Comparative genome analysis of Campylobacter jejuni using whole genome microarrays. FEBS Letters. 554, 224-230.