Research groups are found across several university departments and local research institutes, and include:
- Bacterial Infection Group in the Department of Veterinary Medicine
- Parasitology (Trypanosoma , Schisotoma, and Toxoplasma)research groups based in the Departments of Pathology and Biochemistry
- Virology Research groups based in Pathology, Department of Veterinary Medicine, Medicine
- Research on Erwinia & Serratia in the Department of Biochemistry
Recent highlights include:
- New insights into how pathogens such as Salmonella grow at the single-cell level and spread in the body
- Analysis of the evolution of influenza viruses now feeds into to the WHO vaccine strain selection panel, with further studies now being undertaken with dengue and EV-71.
- Building on strong links with the nearby Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, the use of next generation sequencing technologies to map transmission routes of MRSA and detection of drug resistance.